History Project Logo

281-283 Commercial St

281-283 Commercial St
Historic District Survey information for 281-283 Commercial St
Architectural Description: Address in field: 283 Commercial Street; 283 Commercial St. is a 2-story, 3-bay, commercial building; gable-front roof is sheathed in asphalt shingles, full cornice return, interior brick chimney on rear roof ridge; exterior is clad in clapboard siding on 1st story of one side and in front gable end, with diamond and staggered shaped wood shingles on remaining facades; slight wall flare between 1st and 2nd stories; building sits on a brick foundation; fenestration includes single-pane wood-framed storefront windows, 2/1 wood DHS; bracketed 1st-story storefront cornice; 1-story side shed section connects this building to 281 Commercial Street.
Historical Narrative: As per Tom Boland (1994): The earliest known structures of the area are 250 and 280. 250 Commercial is listed as the office of Dr. John L. Lothrop, who also had a pharmacy here, in the 1858 atlas. By 1875, the building had become Adams Pharmacy which still exists to this day and is the oldest business in continuous operation. The building in 1880, however was still owned by a J.M. Croker. By 1901-1907, the site was owned by John D. Adams himself. Historic photographs from the turn of the century indicate that the storefront remains unchanged in form. 299 Commercial Street was constructed between 1858 and 1880. In 1880, it is listed as the property of F. Small. By 1901, M.J. Davis is noted as owning and operating a small business from here and in 1907, the site is listed as Manuel J. Davis, hairdresser. The site of 277 Commercial Street was owned by D.D. Smith in 1880. In 1901, the current building was run as a restaurant by Emma F. Howes.283-289 Commercial Street was owned by S. Nickerson in 1880. As of 1901-1907, these buildings were operated as a livery by James Campbell. Mr. Campbell is noted in 1890 as working as a teamster or jobber.280 Commercial Street was owned by S. Nickerson in 1880. By 1901-1907 the property was owned by Angus McKay, a dealer in dry goods, boots, etc. In 1880, 269 Commercial Street was owned and operated by D. Conwell. The shop, in 1886, is listed as a millinery, and in 1890, a millinery run by Miss Lucy Paine is noted to exist across from Town Hall.
Bibliography and/or References: Barnstable County Atlas., 1880. Barnstable County Atlas., 1907. Cape Cod Directory, 1901. The Extremity of Cape Cod. Map, 1836. H.F. Wallings Co. Map of Provincetown Village. Atlas, 1858. Jennings, Herman A. Chequocket or Provincetown. 1893. Jennings, Herman A. Provincetown. or Odds and Ends from the Tip End. 1890. Resident Directory. W.F. Richardson & Co., 1886. Resident Directory. W.H. Hopkins, 1889.
Commercial Street (Provincetown, Mass.), Dwellings, and Historic Districts--Massachusetts--Provincetown
Download (Mass. Historical Commission Form B)

Comments (0)

NOTICE: It appears you do not have Javascript enabled in your Web browser. To access some of the features on the site (including email links) you must enable Javascript and refresh the page.